This guide describes how to load georeferenced Nearmap imagery in Geocortex Essentials Viewer for HTML5 (GVH) using Nearmap's Custom WMS 2.0. The process includes creating a web map in ArcGIS Online.
1. Create the WMS Service
Create a WMS Service by creating an API Application from the API Access Dashboard in the Nearmap Admin Portal.
You have the option to create two services for WMS 2.0. Refer to the linked instructions for each of these services for more details.
- Obtain Simple WMS - provides a WMS URL that has latest imagery only
- Obtain a Nearmap Custom WMS 2.0 URL - Using Nearmap’s new Custom WMS will allow you to geofence the area, and access historical imagery, as well as State Plane Coordinate Systems in NAD83 in the US, or GDA 2020 in Australia. The service will update with the new imagery every time Nearmap publishes a new survey.
2. Create Service Connection in Geocortex Essentials Viewer for HTML5 (GVH)
- Log into Geocortex Essentials Viewer for HTML5 (GVH) and create an empty site. Choose Add Map Service.
- Select the Service Connections tab. Press Add Connection.
- Set up with the following: Connection Type: WMS (Web Map Service), Add a Display Name for the Map Service and paste either the Simple or Custom Service WMS URL created in Step 1 in the URL field. Click OK.
- Double-click the newly added NearMap Service Connection to expand then check the box next to the surveys that you would like displayed.
- Click to highlight and select Add to Map. Since we’ve added the Custom WMS Service, multiple dates are displayed.
You may need to select multiple surveys for coverage within a specific region.
- Information regarding the layer list is described in detail here:
- LAX Airport- The name of the service
- LAX - User defined area name
- 2019-10-01 LosAngeles-Riverside- A layer corresponding to a survey from that date that was automatically created by the WMS server
- LAX combined- A layer that was automatically created by the WMS server. Contains all the imagery from the area within the optionally specified dates, with latest on top
When requesting imagery using WGS84 coordinate systems, namely EPSG:4326 (WGS 84) and EPSG:3857 (Web Mercator, Spherical Mercator, Pseudo-Mercator), our WMS service will automatically return imagery that has been converted to a local datum as per the table below.
Adding Simple WMS
The process for adding the Simple WMS Service is similar to the steps above. When you use the Simple WMS Service, you won't have options for multiple survey dates. Choose the region in which you are displaying imagery, highlight the the layer and click Add to Map.
3. Add Viewer and Configure Geocortex Site
- Press the Save Site button
If the Save Site button at the top right is active, it means you have unsaved changes. You need to save before you can proceed.
- Select Viewers then click Add Viewer.
- Add a Viewer and configure the Geocortex site in order to add additional layers, update layer names, stylize the web map, and add custom tools. Press Apply Changes.
- Launch in Browser to view site.